WHAT DO OUR PRODUCTS CONTAIN AND HOW ARE THEY MADE?
Opuntia Ficus Indica (lat.) Belongs to the cactus family Cactaceae and is commonly known as Prickly Pear or Berber Fig. The plant originated in Mexico and today can be found in various (semi) arid regions of the world such as Morocco.
Prickly pear is known as a miracle plant due to its ability to survive in extreme conditions. . Its fruit contains many small seeds, from which we obtain valuable cactus oil. The oil should by no means be confused with the cheap cactus oils that can be found in the market where cactus flowers are soaked in mineral oil. Mineral oils are petroleum derivatives and an ingredient in many cosmetic products.
THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS
The fruits are picked by hand, thoroughly cleaned and sorted. Seeds are removed and naturally dried. Properly stored, the dried seeds await extraction or cold pressing of the oil – mechanical, without chemical preparations. A 100% natural oil or extra virgin oil is thus obtained.
OIL EXTRACTION OF CACTUS SEEDS
Oil extraction from cactus seeds is a long process. It takes 1 tonne of fruit, in which there are 25 kg of seeds, to produce 1 litre of oil, since each seed contains only about 5% oil.
The oil contains high concentrations of tocopherol (vitamin E) and essential fatty acids (linoleic acid or omega 6). Opuntia oil contains more tocopherol than any other oil available in the cosmetic industry. It contains 150% more tocopherol than, for example, argan oil. Tocopherol is a powerful antioxidant and an anti-free radical scavenger.
HOW DOES THE USE OF CACTUS OIL AFFECT YOUR SKIN?
1. THE SKIN QUICKLY ABSORBS IT: The fatty acids in cactus oil, especially the high content of linoleic acid (60%), ensure that the oil is well absorbed into the skin. It penetrates deep into the skin without leaving greasy stains.
2. IT RESTORES ELASTICITY OF THE SKIN: The high antioxidant content stimulates cell renewal. Thus, the skin is always fresh and renewed. The oil reduces redness and hyper-pigmentation.
3. IT NOURISHES, MOISTURISES AND SOFTENS THE SKIN: The oil intensely moisturises the skin. It is suitable for all skin types but works especially well on dry, mature skin. High content of linoleic acid (60%) soothes even the most dehydrated skin. The oil penetrates very deep and makes skin softer.
4. IT BRIGHTENS DARK SPOTS: Cactus oil has the ability to brighten dark spots on the skin. Vitamin K also helps to alleviate dark circles under the eyes and reduce capillaries.
5. IT SLOWS SKIN AGEING: Cactus oil contains higher amounts of betalain than any other known plant (e.g. acai, pomegranate, blueberries, goji and beets). Betalains are great antioxidants with powerful anti-ageing effects.
6. IT PREVENTS WRINKLES: Cactus oil has a high vitamin E content (895 mg/kg or 150% more than argan oil). Vitamin E is a free radical scavenger and stimulates cell renewal. The high fatty acid content plumps the skin, reducing wrinkles and adding firmness as well as intercepting free radical damage.
7. IT DOES NOT CLOG PORES: The essential fatty acids in cactus oil maintain a moist and healthy collagen layer of skin. High linoleic acid (60%) and low (20%) oleic acid content makes the oil non-comedogenic, meaning that it does not clog pores and cause inflammation.
8. IDEAL FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Cactus oil nourishes, moisturises and soothes inflammation.
ADVANTAGES OF CACTUS OIL
Cactus oil is a relatively new product. Due to its amazing results, this oil will definitely become a leader in the cosmetics industry in the future. The positive effects of cactus oil on the body are remarkable, as it slows the ageing of the skin, regenerates skin at the cellular level, is a natural remedy for eczema, increases shine and strength of hair, regenerates damaged nails, is excellent in the fight against acne and is a powerful antioxidant. In addition to its excellent hydration and outstanding anti-ageing effect, it contains more Vitamin E than any other cosmetic product on the market. It is distinguished by the highest percentage of unsaturated fatty acids (88%), namely: CONTENT OF FATTY ACIDS
• Oleic Acid 20.6%
• Linoleic Acid 60.5%
• Stearic Acid 3.2%
• Palmitic Acid 13.9%
• Tocopherol 895 mg/kg (almost 150% more Tocopherol than Argan oil)